ORB Encyclopedia: Online Essays
The Military Orders: Bibliographies
Paul Crawford and Erik Opsahl
It is the intent of the editors to update these bibliographies continually.
We invite the submission of new material, particularly works of an obscure
nature. Eventually we hope to include virtually all material relating to
the military orders.
The bibliographies are in two main parts.
The first part (The Military Orders: Initial Bibliography) contains some
of the most up-to-date works of the highest scholarship, as well as the
most recent English translations of the orders' rules, and is recommended
to those who are beginning an investigation of the Military Orders. Every
effort has been made to limit the works in the Initial Bibliography to
English, but in some areas the only good secondary sources are in other
languages. This is particularly true for materials relating to the
The second part (The Military Orders: Extended Bibliographies) contains
works of varying date and of varying reliability; this bibliography is
intended for in-depth research use.
The Military Orders: Initial Bibliography
Introduction to the Military Orders
- Barber, Malcolm, ed. The Military Orders: fighting for the faith,
for the sick, Aldershot & Brookfield, 1994
- Barber, Malcolm. The New Knighthood: A history of the Order of the
Temple, Cambridge, 1994, repr. paperback 1995.
- -----. "The Order of St. Lazarus and the Crusades," in Catholic
Review, 80:3 (July 1994), pp. 439-456.
- -----. The Trial of the Templars, Cambridge, 1978.
- Bennett, Matthew. "La regle du Temple as a Military Manual, or how to
deliver a cavalry charge," in Studies in Medieval History Presented to R.
Allen Brown, pp. 7-19; also in The Rule of the Templars, Judith
trans. and ed.,Woodbridge, 1992, pp. 175-188.
- Benninghoven, Friedrich. Der Orden der Schwertbruder: Fratres milicie
Christi de Livonia, Cologne & Graz, 1965.
- Favreau, Marie-Luise. Studien zur Fruhgeschichte des Deutschen
- Forey, Alan J. "The Military Order of St. Thomas of Acre," in English
Historical Review, 92:364 (1977), pp.481-503.
- -----. Military Orders and Crusades, London, 1994.
- -----. The Military Orders from the Twelfth to the Early Fourteenth
Centuries, London, 1992.
- -----. "The Order of Mountjoy," in Speculum 46 (1971), pp.
- Hamdy, Abdel Hamid. "Phillipe de Mezieres and the New Order of the
Passion," in Bulletin of the Faculty of Arts (Alexandria University)
(1964), pp. 45-54.
- Housley, Norman. "Politics and Heresy in Italy: Anti-Heretical
Orders and Confraternities, 1200-1500," in Journal of Ecclesiastical
History 33:2 (1982), pp. 193-208.
- King, E. J., Col. The Rule, Statutes and Customs of the Hospitallers,
1099-1310, London, 1934.
- Luttrell, Anthony. The Hospitallers in Cyprus, Rhodes, Greece and the
West: 1291-1440, London, 1978.
- -----. The Hospitallers of Rhodes and Their Mediterranean World,
and Brookfield, 1992.
- -----. Latin Greece, the Hospitallers and the Crusades:
- Nicholson, Helen. Templars, Hospitallers and Teutonic Knights: images of the military orders, 1128-1291,, Leicester, London & New York, 1993.
- O'Callaghan, J. F. The Spanish Military Order of Calatrava and its
Affiliates, London, 1975.
- Partner, Peter. The Murdered Magicians: the Templars and their
Oxford & New York, 1982.
- Prawer, Joshua. "Military Orders and Crusader Politics in the Second
of the XIIIth Century," in Die geistlichen Ritterorden Europas,
Sigmaringen, 1980, pp. 217-229.
- Riley-Smith, Jonathan S. C. The Knights of St. John in Jerusalem and
Cyprus, c. 1050-1310, London, 1967.
- -----. "The Templars and the Teutonic Knights in Cilician Armenia," in
Cilician Kingdom of Armenia, ed. T. S. R. Boase, Edinburgh, 1978.
- Sire, H. J. A. The Knights of Malta, New Haven and London, 1994.
- Sterns, Indrikis. "The Teutonic Knights in the Crusader States," in A
History of the Crusades, Vol. V: The impact of the Crusades on the
East, Kenneth M. Setton, gen. ed., Madison, Wisc., 1985, pp. 315-378.
- Tumler, Marian. Der Deutsche Orden im Werden, Wachsen und Wirken bis
mit einem Abriss der Geschichte des Ordens von 1400 bis zur neuesten
- Upton-Ward, Judith, ed. and trans. The Rule of the Templars,
- Urban, William. The Baltic Crusade, Dekalb, 1975, repr. Chicago,
- -----. The Livonian Crusade, Washington, 1981.
- -----. The Prussian Crusade, Lanham, 1980.
- -----. The Samogitian Crusade, Chicago, 1989.
- Ward, Benedicta. "The New Orders," in The Study of Spirituality,
Jones et al., eds., New York and Oxford, 1986, pp. 283-91.
- Wieser, Klemens, ed. Acht Jahrhunderte Deutscher Orden in
Einzeldarstellungen, Bad Godesburg, 1967.
Copyright (C) 1996, Paul Crawford and Erik Opsahl. This file may
be copied on the
condition that the entire contents,including the header and this copyright
notice, remain intact.
Comments to: Paul Crawfordcrawford@alma.edu
Updated: 12 April 1999